Monday 16 April 2012

The tin of tomatoes I bought contains citric acid.

We know that citric acid is found in citrus fruits, with lemons and limes having a greater concentration than a strawberry. But what's it doing, added to my tin of tomatoes?

I've now found out that citric acid is manufactured industrially in great quantities for detergents, medicine, and cosmetics. (Yes! I remember making the bath bombs!) It seems to act variously as a cleaning agent, as a preservative to stop mould or bacteria growth, and to provide an acidic taste.

In the tin of tomatoes, I guess it provides the 'edge' to the taste, and helps prevent mould. Do you think it also helps prevent any reaction between tomatoes and the metal of the tin that contains them?

What can you add to my knowledge of citric acid with your research?

Try acids here (then take the quiz). Read about citric acid here. I don't understand the Kreb's cycle, but I can see it starts a new area to find out about.

No comments:

Post a Comment